Saturday, September 20, 2014

A;tered Playing Cards 3 and 4

I've completed Week 3 which is to make cards 3 and 4.  If you'd like more details about Claudine Criner's Altered Playing Card challenge, a link to her blog is HERE.

I followed Claudine's prompts for the backgrounds.  One is done with alcohol inks and one with distress ink pads.  The alcohol inks are on top of crushed tissue paper.  The distress inks are on top of drywall mesh tape.  At the time I gesso'd up the 52 cards, I added some texture with these additional elements.



My alcohol inks were a tad dark so I opted not to try stamping.  Instead I used some digital images.  I was disappointed that my distress inks wouldn't stay vibrant, even after multiple applications.

Christmas Memories Playing Card

Because of the resulting alcohol ink background, I chose a holiday themed childhood memory of going to visit my Milwaukee relatives where my aunt always gave me a box of chocolates.



Playing card layered with crushed tissue paper covered in gesso
Ranger Alcohol Inks:  Bottle, Slate, and Currant
Lunagirl Moonbeams Christmas Photos
Moonlight Journey My Love Valentine Tags
felt snowflake and button from stash

I'm entering this card in the
Crafting by Designs challenge where Lunagirl Moonbeams is the sponsor this week.  The theme is Childhood Memories.



Autumn Season Playing Card

I went with Claudine's idea to creat a seasonal card.  I chose an owl for my bird and Tim Holtz' letters to spell "fall" rather than "fly".  I did "follow suit" (excuse the pun) to use a leaf made with distsress paper (which I sanded), and the same colors of distress inks.



Playing card layered with drywall mesh tape covered in gesso.
Ranger Tim HoltzDistress Ink Pads:  Spiced Marmalade, Vintage Paper, and Mustard Seed
Maya Road owl glued to Coredinations green distress card stock
Sizzix Tim Holtz Alterations die Tattered Leaves
Coredinations brown distress card stock
Green dye ink
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Salvage Stickers

I'm entering this card in the
Lunagirl Moonbeams Challenge Blog for the creative theme Autumn
and
Eclectic Paperie September e-play challenge:  Fall
and
4 Crafty Chicks Challenge:  #212 Fall

8 comments:

SusanK said...

Love 'em both! It's so much fun seeing how others translate an artist's work.

Claudine said...

I really, really like your owl, very cool background too, with the mesh. The girl is also too fun, your backgrounds are wonderful! Way to go!

Karen Lunagirl said...

These are both great! I LOVE the purples and greens you put together on your Always holiday card -- and the button (love buttons) and that's one of my favorite images! And your cute owl card is just perfect for my Autumn challenge at LunagirlMoonbeams.com -- so glad to have you and your little owl visit us there again! ~ Karen

ionabunny said...

Hi, love the owl. And the drywall tape. Great idea for texture. The christmas scene is lovely too. I'm a new follower. I really love to see what everyone else is doing with their cards but since I am not on FB I have decided to follow the few others who are blogging. Hugz

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I realize I'm late finding you, but wanted to send some non-FB love your way. Both of these cards are lovely, truly lovely, and I like how you made them both your own.

Tamie said...

I love, love, love your owl. The texture is perfect. Thank you so much for sharing your incredible creation with us at 4 Crafty Chicks.

Tamie 4CC DT

Michele said...

oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE both these cards! each is very different but both so vibrant. I am finally going to post my week 2 cards later this week lol!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I'm playing along with APC and also don't use FB, so I was glad massofhair posted your link so I could find you.

Both of these cards are wonderful--all the details and dimension are just beautiful!

Blog Archive

Family Heritage Album